Friday, July 22, 2011

Shutter Island


Let me introduce you to Shutter Island - home of Ashecliffe hospital/prision/treatment center for the criminally insane. I read this novel, after I had watched the movie and although I still thoroughly enjoyed it I would recommend reading the novel before watching the movie, or at least leaving several months inbetween the two. The novel follows US Marshal Edward 'Teddy' Daniels as he and his partner Chuck Aule go to Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of one of Ashecliffe's patients, Rachel Solando. Teddy spends several days on the island and as you get deeper into the novel the weirder and creepier Shutter Island becomes. Things aren't adding up and Teddy realizes that he is never alone on the island - he is always being followed or watched. I don't want to say TOO much as this novel has alot of twists and turns and the ending will blow your mind. The story primarily focuses on Teddy and his life, his work at Ashecliffe and mental illness. The story is thrilling and confusing, and sad when you learn of Teddy's wife Dolores. This book is an easy read and is only $10 and I would highly recommend it!

I would also just like to add that the prices I mention in my reviews are Canadian dollars, and I am basing the price off of the price printed on the cover. I would recommend however that you look in second hand stores for these books as often times you will get them for less than half price. If you do as much reading as I do it can and does become very pricey!

Happy reading,
Ash Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment