Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Green Mile by Stephen King


I finished reading this book about a week or so ago now. I was very skeptical when my boyfriend had suggested I read it with him - I had always come to the conclusion that Stephen King was just not my type of author. I was more of a Nicholas Sparks kinda girl but I am always open to new literature so I figured why not? I am also very judgmental of books. You know the whole "don't judge a book by it's cover" thing? Well I do. I judge and then I judge some more. The cover doesn't have to be amazing or beautiful but it has to be appealing. I also flick through the pages and look at the font of the text. I don't know why, but certain fonts just irritate me. It isn't a deal breaker don't worry - I won't refuse to read a book based on the fact that it has a bad font but I am more inclined to those books whose font is in 'Times New Roman'. How does this all relate to The Green Mile you ask? Well, the cover for starters is not just appealing, it is also intriguing, and the text is Times New Roman just as I like it. Not to mention this book seems to retain it's 'new book smell' quite well which makes me very happy.

After having read the first chapter which is only 6 pages long, I was already taken. This book literally swept me off my feet and carried me away. You get to meet and become to know the characters of Hal Moores, Paul Edgecomb, Percy Wetmore, Edouard Delacroix, Mr. Jingles, Brain Doland, Melinda Moores, William Wharton aka Billy the Kid, Brutal, Janice Edgecomb, The Chief, and the Dettericks among many others, but my favourite by far is John Coffey - like the drink but spelt differently. John Coffey enters the book in a horrific way but as the story progresses, you learn that John Coffey is in fact a miracle walking on earth. Literally. Not only the story, but the language flows so well within The Green Mile. It is such an easy and intriguing read and by the end of every chapter, or section you are always left wanting more and putting this book down for the night was very difficult indeed.

For me there are many memorable parts to this novel. The most memorable being at John Coffey's execution. They are about to place the black bag over his head to which Coffey replies something along the lines of 'Please don't boss Edgecomb sir, I am afraid of the dark, please don't put me in there'. That is not a direct quote, it is just how I remember it, and let me tell you as I read that line hot tears just came flooding out of my eyes. Another memorable moment for me was when I discovered that it was not in fact John Coffey who had done the horrible things, but instead William Wharton. I discovered this before I had actually read it, and upon confirming my belief I got chills. And last but not least, another memorable moment was when I discovered that Paul Edgecomb had been taking walks down into the woods to feed the now 60-something year old Mr. Jingles. I had always taken a liking to the little circus mouse, and as I read The Green Mile I wished that if I could do anything for the characters, I would take care of Mr. Jingles.

I hope my review has given you enough of a push to go and read the book if you haven't already, and I hope I haven't given too much away. There are still so many secrets within the Green Mile that I have not discussed, waiting for you to discover. I would also like to add that the book is only $9.99 so it is a steal!!!

Happy reading,
Ash Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment