Friday, July 22, 2011

The Shack


I remember the first time I saw this book on the book shelf in the local Chapters book store. If you have read my earlier reviews, you'll know by now that I do judge a book by it's cover. I know this may mean I miss out on some great books, but when you are standing in the middle of an enormous book store, looking for your next read, judging a book by its cover definitly makes it easier to narrow down your choices. Anyway, I saw this book and was instantly gripped by its cover. Then I read the back of the book and I was even more intrigued but I already had so many books at home sitting on my shelf (about 25) that I had not yet read and thought it would be silly to purchase another book. Weeks went by and anytime I went into Chapters or the local mall I'd see this book being show cased as a best seller, or a staff-pick. Each and every time I walked by this book I'd say "soon enough I will read that book". Then finally when I couldn't hold off any longer I bought this book and paid a reasonable $15.

The Shack is a story about a family, mainly a Father and his three children. They go camping at Wallowa Lake just before the end of the summer, and while Mack is saving one of his children from drowing, his youngest daughter (6 year old Missy) is left alone at the campsite admist the chaos and is snatched by the "Little Ladykiller". The story follows Mack's quest in finding the truth about what happened to his daughter, finding his daughters killer, being able to finally let go, and repairing his long lost relationship with God, or the Holy Trinity as they are presented in this novel. Although I do not believe in any religion, and do not believe in the concept of religion, this novel is amazing, eye opening and introduces God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit in a way that I have never heard of before. I think that is what I liked most about this book - the way the Holy Trinity was portrayed. It wasn't a traditional and conventional portrayal, but instead God took on the form of a Jamaican woman and a cook who Mack called Papa, Jesus was a carpenter and the Holy Spirit was an Asian woman named Sarayu who was a gardener. Mack visits the shack where the Little Ladykiller had brought and murdered his daughter Missy and upon being grief stricken as he leaves the shack, a miracle happens that allows Mack to spend several days in the presence of the Holy Trinity which will change his life forever.

This story was another tear filled read, but entirely worth it as it moves you more than you'd ever think it would and Mack learns that it is okay to let go, that the death of his daughter was not his or Papa's fault and that Missy is now safe and happy and gets to be in the world that Mack briefly experiences during his stay with the Holy Trinity.

Happy reading,
Ash Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment